Thursday, August 04, 2005

Even Slower

I'm fascinated with this slow business.

In my mind I am so there. I live in the country, probably in Tuscany or the south of France and spend loads of time cooking and sewing and reading and telling stories to my grand children by the fire.

In reality I rush around the city like a lunatic, eating on the run, trying to sueeze far too much in my week, struggling to keep up with the cleaning and I don't even have kids, let alone grand kids.

I do, however, have two pets, the K9 one of which gets more or less dragged through the streets these days as I'm always in more of a rush than him.

But I keep trying. I tried a bit of slow cooking the other night. Yeah, it turned out a bit like sloppy seconds (say these last two words like Gareth from The Office to make them particularly funny), but I bloody tried.

I used to brew shit slowly all the time - mulled wine, chai tea. Not much any more.

Who has time?

But slow is good: food, sex, wine, sunsets, motion (motioN! No S. I love slow motion - makes everything look better), walks, torture, traffic. Nah, slow traffic can suck me. HURRY UP!!!!!! Mother fuckers.

I'd love to book in for some of the winter food festival slow cooking courses but I can just see myself running in the door, panting and sweating.

I cooked an apple crumble last night. Is that slow? It was bloody delicious. It took about half an hour in the oven. Tell me that's slow. I mean, how many hours are there in a day? Speaking of which, I want more hours in the day, more days in the week, more sleep, more (some) sex...

And by the way, if you love me and you EVER see me post that I am dashing to the supermarket for late night chocolate runs again, stop me!!! I will inevitably buy too much and eat it all and get sick. Add some crumble and ice cream on top of that and my liver (not to mention my hips) will be screaming. Things are not looking good when I eat this much chocolate. Definitely not a happy chicky.

Can't believe I even posted today, I'm so cranky. I've got the shits with life...in case you hadn't already noticed.

Favourite thing today: swimming outdoors in winter. I got back in the pool today after nursing a boring neck injury for the last couple of months. Chased my visible breath through the cold, cold, must-be-snowing-somewhere, wet Melbourne morning as I rode there, feeling very under clothed in my cotton sweats, full of trepidation. Started with a spa (not in the dirty blogcestuous manner, but a warming-the-tired-muscles manner) then goggled up and dove right into the steam covered pool and did my laps beneath the grey, drizzly sky. It was so warm in there and of course, very empty. Can't swim indoors. I used to cross town on a train in London just to swim outdoors...in winter. Used to trek accross town in winter here too when I lived on the *mumbles* other side of the river. You gotta try it before you call me crazy, it is SO worth it! You will feel amazing when you get out.

See, I can always look on the bright side of something.

6 Comments:

Blogger mj said...

Apple crumble is slow Darcy, even if it only took half an hour, the apples still had to grow on the tree and the crumble still had to crumble and you had to create the end product yourself, with your own hands. It didn't pop out of a packet and wasn't bought at anywhere delivering fast pre-made meals. I have a feeling that anything home-made, involving and oven and preparation is slow food these days... Sometimes you've just got to make time to be able to indulge in the slow, at least I do.

12:00 AM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger PiesFan90 said...

Hi, You've been tagged,

http://mypierant.blogspot.com/2005/08/top-ten-turn-ons-and-offs.html

It's all m1key's fault, I followed him hear and he made me tag you....

Have fun with it.

12:45 AM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger Roguemaze Central said...

Just get on with things will you.

9:19 AM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger la nadine said...

there is nothing dirty about spa party. i always emerge extremely clean. albeit rather sore.

favourite thing today: you.

5:09 PM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger Darcy said...

Oh shit cakes. I was a) going to take a blog break and b) have no idea how to tag.

Help.

10:58 PM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger Darcy said...

I got the "you're it" part, I just don't know how to link. Would I be a bad, bad girl if I din't do it?

4:29 PM, August 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home