Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Goodbye Sydney

Ah sweet Sydney. My time has come.

My uncle always said "“Melbourne is like a Duchess and Sydney a whore. A whore is always fun for a short time but ultimately you want to go home to the Duchess."

I think there is some truth in that, but less this time than previous visits.

I will miss you Sydney.

I will miss the sheer beauty of this place, with it's vast structures, gorgeous architecture, lush tropical trees and waters reflecting golden lights at dusk. I will miss the razamataz and the sadness it covers up. I will miss the junkies lying asleep on the footpath in the Cross, flirting with death on an all time heavenly low. I will miss the guy with the three Jack Russells on a lead. I will miss my mad alcoholic friends. They are an inspiration to me and have kept me smiling for seven weeks straight. Beautiful, each and every one of them. I will miss the loneliness and desperateness here; the aching, needy camaradery. I will miss the passion and the energy. I will miss the Dumpling King and my local milk bar -– I light up every time I go in there. I will miss all the milk bars. I will miss the bouncer at Showgirls. I will miss dudes thinking that playing a stereo in the street equals busking. I will miss $5 films at Greater Union on Tuesdays. I will miss cheap pub meals. I will miss the Gaslight. Hell, I might even miss being man handled out of the Judgy. I will miss my girlfriends. I hate leaving the chics behind and the ones I've become close and closer to up here rock my world. I will miss the actor love-ins. I will miss my drug habit. I will miss my meetings with bank managers to organise yet another loan so that I might afford another $8 drink. I will miss the close proximity to everything. I will miss the deco buildings. I will miss the Lindt Concept Store. I will miss cheap breakfasts. I will miss the view from our apartment. I will miss the boot-over-jeans wearing clones. I will miss the dogs, as in The Dogs. "Come on Arica Bella! 'Atta girl! Come home to mumma!!!"” I will miss my voice -– lost it at the dogs. I will miss the friendly and efficient taxi drivers. Really! Except the one who barked at me that I was clearly unfamiliar with the Sydney CBD or I wouldn't be asking such questions. Won't miss him. I will miss the snugly little corner shops, cafes and pubs, tucked away so enchantingly in the side streets. I will miss the late nights. I will miss a few brain cells. I will miss the sunshine!

Sydney, you are a brazen slut. But you have a broken heart and the biggest smile, which I can'’t resist and I have so much fun with you. You have looked after me well. I love you. Look after your children as I care deeply for them and wish for them the brightest of futures and the deepest satisfaction in life.

Thank you.

XXXXX

PS Some parting advice: my time in Sydney did not come to naught. I found good coffee in Sydney! The Wall Two, corner of Campbell and Foster Sts, Surry Hills. Also Nest on Victoria St, Potts Point. Get into it.

PPS Sorry about late post-no internet connection. Hope you got to read Friday's post in the mean time. The 8th that is. x

4 Comments:

Blogger la nadine said...

okay, you can stop playing silly buggers and come back now.

fhm can come back too.

i miss you both.

x

2:48 PM, July 12, 2005  
Blogger Rowena said...

I understand your feelings about Sydney. Not that I've lived there for any period of time, but I have a strange repulsion-attraction thing going on with it. Each time I go there I feel both thrilled and disturbed.

10:06 PM, July 12, 2005  
Blogger Adam said...

Whoa!! I'm leaving Sydney forever in 2 weeks, going back to live in Melbourne. Clearly, subconciously I couldn't bare to stay here without you.

May I add to your tribute?

Dear Sydney,

I will miss many things about you. I will miss the near perfect beach weather but being so much further from the beach than I am in Melbourne, I will miss my housemate seducing his girlfriend with muppet voices , I will miss the dude who has asked me 11 or 12 times in 6 months for money to buy a bus ticket to Cairns, I too will miss the dude who busks by hooking a radio up to a car battery, I will miss the $5 steaks (even though you need two to make a meal), I will miss an airport only minutes away, I will miss the perfection that is King St Newtown, the expensive but stupidly fun latin clubs, I will miss the clothes stores that are all exactly the same, the cool student surry hills bit, the poncy bondi bit, the small live music scene, the backpackers everywhere, the constant beggers, the massive amount of people who would actually like to live in Melbourne but always only whisper it, the concession that AFL is actually a better game but they love Rugby anyway, the totally inaccessible gyms because there is just too many dudes standing around, and especially I will miss all the people I have honestly come to love once the end was in sight.

I won't miss paying rent here and in Melbourne. I won't miss the hanging out in both airports. I won't miss Virgin always being late and Qantas' ugly, ugly uniforms. These things, have nothing to do with Sydney, I really do think I could live with you - maybe one day.

2:17 PM, July 14, 2005  
Blogger Darcy said...

Wow Adam, I have no idea how you found me but thanks for the extra tribute.

In Melbourne town, freezing and ill and desperately uninspired to write amidst all the house cleaning and bill paying.

7:31 PM, July 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home