Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Peaches

Look out readers, this is going to be a movie review/personal outpouring about the state of the Australian "film industry". I doubt it will be in the least bit amusing so tune out now if you just want cheap thrills.

Ok, so maybe not a review as such, but a bit of a response to Peaches.

I loved it. It wasn't perfect but it was the first Australian film I have seen in a loooooong time that I thoroughly enjoyed. The first Aussie film I've seen in God knows how long that I haven't walked out of and hung my head in shame, wanting to slash my wrists, or, if I had the luxury of a DVD player, simply switched off. It takes a seriously shit film to make me switch it off. I generally like to give a film a damn good go and ultimately want to like it so I hang in there with hope. I switched Travelling Lightly off. We sat there in stunned silence for some time then injected heroin into our veins. Well, wouldn't you?

But I could watch Emma Lung and Jacqueline McKenzie for hours. Finally some women on screen who are worth two hours of my life, who are not merely wives/nurses/secretaries/super heroes/whores/gun toting killing machines in tight lycra suits/tits and arse. Finally! Finally a film which is lead by women but is not a "chic flick" and not about how strong and perfect women are; women who claim back their power, who stand up to men, who take control, who are mothers, leaders, victims turned champions...who basically make me want to puke.

Not cause women aren't heroes. Not cause these films and stories aren't important, but because I hate having our faces shoved in it and because men never want to see those films. No need preaching to the converted. Yes women need a little uplifting and confidence boosting from time to time in this crappy state of affairs that we have settled for but it's men who need to see women as people just as interesting and capable as themselves. We all do, but the blokes aren't going to sit through films that are pointedly about heroins. They somehow think it's not interesting. Not without chics kicking someone's teeth in, in the lycra. But I don't blame them really.

What we all need, or certainly I thirst for, are more films that are about people. Not men being legends, not women being inspiring but humans being human. People we can relate to. People and stories that we give a shit about. Films where you don't have to endure stereotypes. I am so bored with them, so desperately bored. We should be able to watch anyone's story regardless of their age or sex or sexuality for that matter. It should be so interesting that we care. We shouldn't even have to notice how good looking/young/whatever the characters are, the story should transport us.

I love a good doco. I could watch a doco on just about any subject in the world if it's good. So why do film makers think that we are all so stupid that we will only go and see time worn formulaic crap?

BECAUSE IT'S TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I so often forget that I am almost alone in this world. The vast majority of our Big Brother addicted nation are thick as shit. Or if not thick, the only culture they get is if they eat yogurt. Real yogurt.

I pray that Peaches will get an audience and make some money. But it probably won't. It is a beautiful film. Like I said, not perfect, but pretty awesome.

Whilst I'm on the topic of Australian Films, it's such a shame that there are no other middle aged actors out there other than
Colin Friels and Hugo Weaving. There are only two middle aged white guys out there to put in our films and TV series. Who would have thunk it, with a population of seventeen million, there are only two of their age group. Strange that. Strange that there's no-one else who can act, no-one better looking. Oh well, what can you do? Just work with what you got.

With full respect to Hugo, who can be quite extraordinary (but not all the time) I will say that I never want to see him kiss another younger woman ever again. That's twice now I've had to endure it. The first time was bad enough.

Anyway, bla bla bla, I'm sure there'll be plenty more where this came from.

Please note, not one F word or list.

PS I didn't like Batman Begins.

4 Comments:

Blogger mj said...

Oh drat, I thought batman returns was supposed to be good... and now you've made me want to go see Peaches instead: you'd better be right, you and your considered, non-list, non-potty-mouthed post, you.

10:19 PM, June 21, 2005  
Blogger roguemaze said...

Ok lets workshop something here.

A beautiful young woman falls in love with a secret agent who doubles as an office clerk.
She works in a leather company, making custom fit clothing for other sexy women who appear in various scenes. One day this beautiful young woman decides to try on a pair of the skin tight leather pants. She also pours herself into a skin tight top and grabs the nearest whip.
She is kidnapped but manages to escape because she is really good at kicking arse.

or -

An ugly old woman falls in love with an office clerk who watches movies about secret agents. She works in a polyester company warehouse, making clothing for other ugly overwieght women who appear in various scenes. One day this ugly old woman decides to try on a pair of the baggy stone washed jeans. She also struggles to get her obese frame into a baggy polyester floral print shirt, and grabs the nearest bumbag.
She is kidnapped and dies.

Grow up! Which would you prefer?

Ps- Have you finished my woman hating/ male orientated/cliche'd script yet (Where all the girls get their tits out and kick ass)?

10:52 PM, June 21, 2005  
Blogger Darcy said...

Both your plots suck arse. I liked the sound of the second one but it went nowhere.

My boyfriend's watching Big Brother. I'm going to bed, to touch myself. I have a theatre audition in the morning.

12:13 AM, June 22, 2005  
Blogger roguemaze said...

What about this one... A girl gets into bed and touches herself while her boyfriend watches Big Brother (Wishes he was on it), she auditions for some theatre in the morning... I.E. Shitting in a bucket or something arty like that.

The end

11:14 PM, June 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home