Tuesday, August 09, 2005

All Things Good On Stage and Off.

There's a reason Frank Gallagher is one of my favourite actors; he is superb.

Just saw him carve up the stage in King Lear at the Malthouse. It is an MTC production and a mighty fine one, I must say. And believe me, you will not often hear me say that about their shows. I luckily saw it on a "good night" when all lines were remembered, no-one's nose was broken and no-one refused to do the show.

I almost gouged out the eyes of the women behind me, but that's another matter. After having an altercation with them at interval, I won the support of all the other local audience members and thus felt safe in the knowledge that I was not the unreasonable shrew that I was beginning to suspect I was. They were noisy you see. Cherry Ripes mid scene, rattling beads incessantly, drinking water loudly. FUCKIN' SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never invoke the wrath of this one with your candy wrappers in a live show! Be warned.

Anyway, Frank, loose wire though he might be, is a genius and a master and most of the rest of the cast are wonderful. It looks and sounds shit hot. Hats off to Simon Phillips. Go see it.

Today was grim, grey, windy and cold in Smelbs. Everything was a slog. The pool was cold but I pushed on. I am, however, officially the shittest pole dancer in town. Everything hurts, but not as much as it will tomorrow.

Yey for tomorrow.

Favourite thing today: Mountain Goat Old Surefoot stout. God's nectar. Two years ago the alcohol supplier to the shop I worked in knew I had a taste for this blessed, dark chocolatey caramel sex in a bottle. He bought me in 2 of their 170 exclusive long necks to be cellared. I was going to enjoy one that year and put the other away but (and I have no idea how this happened) I discovered that I still had both of them last night and promptly necked a whole necky. Oh! Is there not a better word than "yum"?

7 Comments:

Blogger la nadine said...

3 sleeps!!!

9:21 AM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Melba said...

god for a moment i thought the person behind you might have been my mum. i think she went to see it last night. but then realised she would never eat cherry ripes. but she would drink water loudly and rattle beads.

she's always rattling beads

actually i'll check with her

11:11 AM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Darcy said...

Uh oh. Do you have a sister?

6:42 PM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Melba said...

[breaks into cold sweat]

yep i do.
but i had lunch with sis yesterday, she would have mentioned if she was seeing mum last night.

unless... they were keeping it from me...

now i'm all insecure. will check.

8:53 PM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Melba said...

my sister would eat cherry ripes

8:54 PM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Darcy said...

Oh shit.

9:10 PM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Darcy said...

kid a, don't you have any left?

even a smear of chocolate on your lips?

11:39 PM, August 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home